My parents and coworkers were all shocked that I would consider traveling alone. “That’s so dangerous! Why are you doing this?”, “That’s a horrible idea.”, “Why don’t you just take a friend with you?”, “No, you’re not going! I’m going to call the TSA to get you on the no-fly list!”. Yes, these were actually said to me — all after I already bought my concert ticket, flight, and room to have a several-day vacation in Orlando, Florida. I was determined and I was not going to let anyone tell me “no”.
Despite their concerns, I made it to Orlando and back, alone, without any major issues! While there were some moments during this trip when I felt vulnerable, I feel like I became stronger in the process of feeling cautiously fearless in those exact moments. Here are the highlights of my trip:
- During the descent of my flight to Orlando, there was a thunderstorm which caused some crazy turbulence. The plane was shaking and it felt like I was on a roller-coaster. People were freaking out, and I started to feel dizzy. Instead of panicking, I decided to engage in some steady breathing exercises. In that moment I did not feel scared. When the plane finally landed, I was still very relieved to have my feet on the ground again.
- Usually I am nervous about flying because I have issues with my sinus pressure. When I get off a plane, one or both of my ears will not “un-pop” for quite some time, leaving me feeling half-deaf and frustrated. For my flights both to and from Orlando, my ears “un-popped” within minutes after getting off the plane! I now feel excitement instead of nervous anticipation about the next few flights I have booked.
- I went to a Tool concert by myself and it was just amazing! This was the main reason I went on this trip and it was so worth it.
- I went zip-lining over alligators. My mom was NOT happy when I told he about it beforehand! Though it does sound scary, it was a blast and I would totally do it again!
- After I went zip-lining, I really felt like lifting. I quickly Googled and found a nearby gym and paid the 1-day drop-in rate to knock out an awesome lifting session.
- I walked from the gym to the Florida Mall and found some great deals on workout and lounge clothing at Dicks Sporting Goods.
- I stayed in an Airbnb and got around everywhere by myself using Lyft or Uber.
- I took these gorgeous shots on the way back to Michigan!
For my first time traveling completely alone, I had a great experience. I feel like I have gained some confidence when it comes to traveling by myself to a place I have never been before. I am looking forward to May when I will be traveling alone to the Radiance Retreat in Venice Beach, CA!